In Shopify, a 'collection' is essentially a group of related products that helps make the browsing process easier for your customers. Collections allow you to organize your products into groups, so customers can easily find what they are looking for while navigating your online store. In this article, we will take you through how to create collections in two different ways.
To create a collection, start from your Shopify admin page and navigate to Products -> Collections -> Create Collections.
Next, you will need to fill out the following details:
- Title: Your collection name
- Description: [Optional] A description is only visible in the online store because your theme can display it. You might want to create a description using keywords for SEO purposes.
- Collection image: If you are trying to make a page and want a photo on top of that page.
- Collection type: You can either do it manually by adding products to the collection one at a time or make it automated where existing and future products that are added to the store will automatically be added to the store collection if they match certain conditions.
A manual collection provides you with complete control over which products are included in the collection. Manual collections are instrumental if you have a small variety of products or if your product line doesn't change often. To set up this type of collection:
- Select 'Manual' as the collection type.
- Click 'Edit website SEO' to make changes to the collection's search engine listing. By default, search engines use the information from the collection's title and description.
- Decide where you want this collection to be visible by managing the sales channels. You may deselect the checkboxes for channels you don't want to include by clicking "Manage". If you wish to link the collection in your navigation menu, you must keep "Online store" selected.
Automated collections are extremely helpful because you don't have to worry about putting a new product in the right place every time you add one. When you begin having hundreds of products, it will inevitably become tough to do everything manually. Therefore, to set up an automated collection:
- Select 'Automated' as the collection type.
- Select the criteria you want the product to meet in order to be added to the collection. The requirements can either be that the product matches all the conditions that you add or simply any of the conditions. For example, if you choose to use 'product tag', every product that is tagged with the word you select will be automatically added to the collection.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How do I tag my products?
Go to "Product" → "All products". Go through your products and select all the products you would like to have in the same tag. Then, go to "Actions" -> "Add tags". When you go back to your collections, you will find that the products are automatically added to the collection if you've set up the rules accordingly.
2. How do I add products to the collection?
Go to "Browse" to see your inventories. Then, select "Themes" by clicking the checkbox beside them.
3. How do I arrange the products?
Choose an option from the "Sort" dropdown menu. Click "Update menu" in the blue banner, or go to "Online Store" -> "Navigation".
Click “Main menu” -> "Add menu item" -> Enter name to match the collection.
4. How do I preview everything?
Click the eye icon next to the "Online Store" option to open a new browser tab.
How Shypyard Can Help You Take Collections To The Next Level
We hope this article provided you with valuable insight on how to use collections for your Shopify store. If you're ever looking to add more capabilities to your online store to improve both your own and your customers' experience, reach out to Shypyard. Shypyard specializes in providing bespoke enterprise solutions and private Shopify apps that set your store apart from the competition. Use our platform to create your own integrations and run apps without worrying about provisioning servers or managing your own infrastructure. We also offer a free 14-day trial with access to all the features in all our plans!
Be the first to hear when we launch!